Pay It Forward

Alyssa - Altoona, Iowa

Audrey Hepburn once said, “Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it’s at the end of your arm; as you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.” She believed in helping others when she could, and so do I.

I believe in paying it forward, or giving when I can. I still remember one day when I was at the grocery store with my mom when I was five. We were in line behind an older woman, and when she went to pay for her groceries, she realized that she didn’t have enough to pay for it all. My mom stepped forward and paid for the woman’s groceries. The woman thanked her again and again and said, “I don’t know if you believe in God or not, but God bless you.” When we got in the car, my mom told me that I should always help someone when I can, because someday someone might help me when I’m in need.

I remember last semester I had to bring all of my brothers’ books home because he was sick. I was having a hard time carrying them all to my car, when a boy from my class ran over and asked me if I needed help. Even though it was just a simple act of kindness, I was in a better mood for the rest of the day.

Ever since that day in the grocery store, I have tried my best to do nice things for people. Whenever I’m pulling out of the school parking lot I always try to make sure I let at least on person pull out in front of me, or whenever I walk into a store in front of someone I hold the door open for them. Something as simple as that could make a person’s day just a little better. And, hopefully, that person will remember that and do something nice for someone else, or pay it forward.