One Friend Can Make a Difference

Thayne - Rigby, Idaho

A simple gesture of friendship from one person to another might mean the world to someone. I believe that being a true friend can even save lives.

When I was fifteen, I was trying my best to have a normal teenage experience. I was being homeschooled, and I was working. I didn’t have much time to socialize and make friends because of the extra time I was working. I wanted a friend, but I wasn’t involved in any sports or community groups, which didn’t give me very many opportunities to meet new people. I also was very shy and it was hard for me to make friends or even to talk to people I didn’t know. I had a pretty thick bubble so it was hard to get myself to come out.

Through a relative I was introduced to a ballroom dance team, which I ended up joining. It was on this team that I met Adam. Not too long after I joined the team I became friends with him. He was my ray of light in a dark storm so to speak. I felt so lost and alone until this one person took me in and was a true friend.

Adam was a friend I could talk to, lean on, and to have fun with. He was exactly what I needed. He was a friend that believed in me and wanted me to be successful. His dream was that we would actually marry twins or even just sisters, so that we could become brothers somehow.

One of my favorite things about Adam, were his everyday phone calls to get me out of the house and go do anything. If he didn’t call me, he was knocking on my door instead. We went on so many double dates that I lost count. He spotted me money to go on dates when I didn’t have any, and I did the same for him; to this day, these are some of our best memories together.

Because of these many times of getting me out of the house to socialize and have fun, I slowly started to gain confidence in myself and feel like I was somebody. It was because of him that I survived my teenage years, decided to go to high school, and has motivated me to get into college. He has helped me with many things that have affected my life and have got me to where I am today.

He is more than just a friend; he is like a brother to me. He put his arm around me and took me in when no one else did. I will always be in debt to him for saving me from the depressed and lonely state that I was in. I believe that him being a true friend to me, has indeed saved my life.