God Answers Prayers

Alex - Stratford, Iowa

I believe that God answers our prayers. I have known ever since I was a small child in Sunday school. We were told there that if we prayed, God would listen. Just recently I realized how much he does listen, and that he answers. This is my story.

On Monday, January 12, around 10:30 my world was thrown out of whack. I was home to hear my mom answer the phone. The medical personnel had called saying something had happened to my dad at work. Then we were in one of the emergency rooms at Mary Greeley Hospital in Ames. We were told what happened by one of the nurses there while we waited for my dad to get back from x-rays. My dad was on the roof of a gymnasium that was recently added onto Mary Greeley’s Medical Center in Story City. He must have tripped over a gas line that was on the roof while he was changing filers. He fell and slid four feet to the edge of the roof where he was lucky enough to catch the rain gutter to avoid falling headfirst. He fell thirty feet from the top of the roof down to a rocky surface below. He managed to land on his feet and then tumble to the ground. Someone inside heard his call for help and called an ambulance to take him to Ames immediately.

When my dad got back from x-rays and we finally saw him, it felt good just to see him alive. The doctor came in and told us that his heel bones were shattered, he had broken both leg bones in both of his legs, and that thee was some breakage in his lower back. They were going to take him to Iowa City to see a specialist to see what they should start to do.

My mom and dad went to Iowa City and I went home to hold down the fort. My whole family prayed for my dad’s safety and recovery, and God answered our prayers. The next couple of days the doctors in Iowa City said that dad’s heels were broken in several areas, both lower leg bones in both his legs were broken, the three lower vertebrae in his back were broken, and one of his ribs in his back was broken. They did surgery on his legs that Friday, and put stainless steel rods in from his knee to his ankle in both legs along with four screws. The next Tuesday they did surgery on his heels in which they pieced together the broken pieces and then screwed them together. They put four screws in both of his heels. Now two weeks later my dad is back at the hospital in Ames doing physical therapy three hours a day. He has awhile before he can walk again but it will be possible because God answers our prayers. That is what I believe.