Second Chances

Alison - Woodland, California

During my sophomore year a new girl moved into the school. Her name was Trisha. At first I didn’t have a problem with Trisha. As the days passed on she started hanging out with my group of friends and everything she did began to get on my nerves. I found her to be the most annoying person on the planet. She was very outspoken and always saying what was on her mind, even when it made her sound like a ditz, or offended another person.

One day at lunch the topic somehow turned to religion. Religion and politics…the two things that you shouldn’t talk about in a big group, especially not with someone like Trisha. As soon as my religion was brought up, Trisha was quick to tell me I was going to hell because of my beliefs. That was the last straw; I no longer tried to cover up my hatred toward Trisha. I never went out of my way to do anything mean to her…it was nothing like that. I just tried to stay away from her at all costs. Everyone knew not to pair me up with Trisha.

To my dismay, in my junior year I had a class with Trisha. I always prayed I would not have to sit next to her, and luckily my prayers were always answered, until the last six weeks of school when we were assigned to sit right next to each other. I was furious! I went home that day and complained to my friend. This friend asked me what it was I didn’t like about Trisha. I couldn’t come up with anything besides the incident that happened over a year ago. I realized how ridiculous that sounded. In that moment I decided I would put that incident behind me and give Trisha a second chance. The next day at school I made a special effort to be nice to her and try to look for her good qualities.

As days went on it became easier and easier to be nice to Trisha. In fact, I actually enjoyed talking with her. I realized we had a lot in common. When we hung out with our group of friends I no longer avoided her. As the weeks went on we slowly became friends. She was someone I could confide my secrets in and go to for advice and vice versa. The more time that went on the closer we became.

Before I knew it a year had passed and graduation day was approaching. As we were reminiscing about our high school years, Trisha brought up the first year she attended our school and how I hated her. I was scared this would bring up some awkwardness until she quickly added that she was glad I gave her a second chance. And so was I. To this day Trisha is still one of my best friends and has now led me to believe that everyone deserves a second chance.