Peaceful Reassurance

Bree - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: afterlife, death

Peaceful Reassurance

Where do we go after death? Does our existence on Earth just end there? Or do we go somewhere else? If we do go somewhere else are there other people there? I believe in life after death. I believe families can be together forever.

When someone loses a family member or even a good friend they’re angry with God for taking them away. They question themselves asking “why me”. Why would God take away this perfect person from me? That’s how I felt when I heard the news of Doug Renn’s death. He was a very sweet, kind hearted, spiritual, gentle, and caring man that didn’t deserve to die. He died of a heart attack while he was in surgery for his shoulder. I remember when I found out about it, it was such a shock to me that I couldn’t believe what I had just heard.

Doug Renn was the Grandpa of the Stake. Everyone loved him and he made everyone so happy. The day of his funeral the Stake Center was filled with so many people because he had touched them all in some way. Previous to the actual funeral there was a viewing and as I looked at his lifeless body in the casket he had this look of peace on his face. It made me re-think what I had questioned and I felt this peace come over me. I knew that one day I would see him again in the after life. Feeling the way that I felt, I couldn’t even imagine what it would have been like to be a true family member looking down at this angel.

Boyd K. Packer states: “And so, death is the reality of life. Whether death is expected or a sudden shock, an inspirational funeral where the doctrines of resurrection, the mediation of Christ, and certainty of life after death are taught strengthens those who must now move on with life.” I really do believe in life after death and I know that from now on that I should never question why someone had died. There is a reason for it. What I have to tell myself is that God needed him in heaven and that it was his time to go. He did what the Lord had asked of him on Earth. He fulfilled that duty and now is in the spirit world teaching people what he so strongly believed in while he was on Earth. He will always be in my heart and I will never forget him.