I believe in green the plant

Dana - 23454, Virginia
Themes: nature

I believe in the green plant. Without photosynthesis the earth would be barren. Granted photosynthesis is one of those mysterious processes we learn about in science class, but don’t necessarily understand. However the human species has been able to profit from and utilize this process to his utmost benefit. We can lie on the beach and tan our bodies to a beautiful bronze, but we cannot convert the sun’s energies to anything useful.

Green plants provide us ALL our food and drink, fuel, clean air, shade and temperature modification, protection, medicines and other products (think wood), soil and water replenishment, beauty and inspiration. What more could we ask for from these “lower” life forms? They certainly do the lion’s share of making planet earth livable.

Every landmass on earth (and waterways as well) has its own highly evolved flora which has engendered life as we know it embracing all human cultures: i.e a broad spectrum from the African Pygmy to the Pharoahs of Egypt.

As humans we celebrate everything from presidents to April fools, but we don’t really do the green plant justice. We celebrate the sun, the harvest and the birth of spring (the growing season) but we don’t do justice to our green life forms. Instead we do our best to remove as many plants as we can that get in our way. We tear down and pave over green areas at a frightening rate to the point where now we have gloom and doom epithets like “global warming” to label our own self destruction.

I believe the plant world is fascinating and more worthy of celebration and protection than any animal species we have been so adamant to protect. I am an animal lover, don’t get me wrong, but I am a plant lover first because without the plants there wouldn’t be any snail darters or bald eagles to save. I just have my own priorities.

So when we think of our “GREEN” slogans lets really understand the true meaning and value “GREEN” has to our survival and simple existence. Plant a tree, a garden, a houseplant and understand how fortunate we are that the green plant will save the earth even if we as a species don’t survive. Green plants will most likely survive the worst case scenario and will be around to watch the cockroach evolve to rule the world in the next chapter of “life on earth.”