I Believe in the Power of the Written Word

Bobby - Clarksville, Tennessee

I believe in the power and magic of the written word. I believe that it has the power to captivate the imagination, and, at the same time, liberate the sprit! Written words are like building blocks that can be stacked, moved, reviewed, edited, rewritten, deleted, and then, finally shared with others in the completed construction of a story, a novel, an essay, or a letter to a loved one. Whereas, the spoken word evaporates shortly after it has escaped from the mouths of men, the written word seems to last forever. Whether it is carved in stone, written on clay tablets or scribbled on paper…it is eternal! It has the power to transport people from one plane of existence to another, from one place to another, from one time to another, from one idea to another. It can act either as history or as prophecy. It can make children believe in the impossible, or it can make grown men believe in themselves. It has the power to transform the mind, inspire the individual, move people…entire continents to action, to persuade people from one position to a diametrically opposite position. It can sadden hearts or it can make hearts happy. I believe the written word can guide or mislead. It can make good men evil, or evil men good. It can move armies, either for…or against. I believe that it can move mountains…or, far greater, move the hearts of men. In 1839 Edward Bulwer-Lytton wrote, “The pen is mightier than the sword”. I believe in the truth of that statement. With a sword, one can only succeed in cutting a man up; but, with the pen, one can really cut a man down. The written word is more powerful than any munition that man has ever created; it is more powerful than anything that man ever will create! It is more powerful than the atomic bomb. It transcends time…distance…space…intellect, and imagination! I can neither add anything, nor detract anything, that would determine the eventual outcome of the written word. It is more powerful than I could ever hope to be. But…I am grateful that I possess the choice to use the written word either as a tool or as a weapon. I believe in the power and the magic of the written word.