Mackenzie - camano island, Washington
Themes: gratitude

“You arrive here with nothing and you leave with nothing. So, be grateful for everything you receive in-between.”

I was talking to my brother the other day, he’s almost never serious so it really surprised me when he told me a quote that I’m almost positive changed my life. I’ve never been one to listen to others words and take them to heart and live by them but this was something special. His words of wisdom where, “You arrive here with nothing and you leave with nothing; so be happy with everything you receive in-between.” This really meant something to me because recently there have been many things that have happened to me and I thought I wasn’t going to make it through. I’m grateful to him for how his words have gotten me back on track to this simple and yet complex way of thinking. I think that maybe the right words to put you back on track comes at you at the most unexpected times.

My talk with him has pushed me to open my eyes and look at all the good things that have come from the unfortunate and terrible accidents; I am now able to enjoy all the small things in my life again. There are so many small things that people take for granted in daily life that I am so grateful for. Things like a warm shower, a bed to sleep in, blankets on top of me, food in my stomach, clean clothes, a house to live in, and electricity. Knowing that I have those things and my parents as my support team can take my mood from horrible to exceedingly happy. I know what its like to be without all of those things so that definitely adds to why I’m so thankful for those things. I believe that you have to look at the positive side of everything even if it’s hard, there has to be a silver lining on every tragedy.

The way that I have learned to look at life is, take it as it comes and even in the bad times some kind of good will come out of it. I know that there has been times in my life were I thought I wasn’t going to make it through so I started feeling sorry for myself, but that right there is the problem. When you feel sorry for yourself you lose the ability to think about all the great things going on around you. That’s why I always try to think on the positive side, so I can enjoy everything because I never know what day is my last. I hope those that read this paper will realize all the great small things that they are forgetting to appreciate.