A Source of Happiness

Wyatt - Blackfoot, Idaho

There are many things in this life that I have at one time or another taken for granted. It seems like it isn’t until we are in dire need of something that we realize how much it means to us. Recent events have caused me to think about my life and what is really important to me. With a tear in my eye I came understand how important a role certain people have played in my life.

I can’t think of a time in my life when I wasn’t relying on my friends for something. Sometimes it was for entertainment. Sometimes it was for advice. And sometimes it was for a good example. I remember camping out for half the summer. I remember nights spent in a jacuzzi talking about our problems and aspirations for hours. I remember the letters of encouragement at times when we were far from each other. I even remember the wriggling worm connected to my finger by a fish hook.

As I think back on the many experiences we have had and shared a big smile comes to my face. My mind is flooded with memories of the troubles of growing up and dating, the sarcasm that no one else understands, and the endless sessions of starting a conversation by saying “Remember when.”

I believe in friendship. It’s what gets you through the good times and the bad. It’s what keeps you talking to each other even when you have nothing important to say. I have been blessed with good friends. They have helped me through my toughest problems and have been patient with me when I have done things to irritate them. They are the ones I go to when I feel like nothing is going right.

I can’t imagine going through life without a friend. It is the kind gestures, the smiles, and the deep conversations that help us through the trials in life. My friends may never know the impact they have had on my life. They don’t know about the times I felt like I was at my wits end but was inspired to continue on by some comment they made. And they surely don’t know about the times when it was only through their good example that I was able to make an important decision.

Reflecting on my life it becomes apparent that it has been greatly enriched through friendship. I’m sure there will never be a time when friends don’t play some role in my life. It is my hope that just as I have been blessed by friends, that my friendship can be a source of happiness to someone else.