Elena - Rexburg, Idaho

Clomp, clomp, clomp. My horse’s big feet plod over the soft mucky ground. I gently pull him to a halt, take in a deep breath of fresh spring air, and let the simple sounds of nature fill my ears. I love, have a firm conviction of the goodness, and therefore, believe in enjoying the quiet peace of nature. Being completely surrounded by the songs of birds and the rustling of trees does something for me that can never be matched.

Its three am. I feel my way quietly through the dark house as I make my way to the front door. I step out into the cool of the morning. The sun hasn’t yet made its appearance over the mountain, but the sky is starting to show a very small hint of light. I stumble across the uneven yard, catch my horse, saddle him up, and make my way to my favorite getaway…the mountains. It is still a bit dark as my horse and I make our way up the mountain. We have a destination in mind, and in a way, a time limit. My horse perks up his ears as we hear a big animal crashing above us on the hill. The morning sky begins to light up as the first birds start their morning songs. After a couple hours on the trail, our destination is in view. I push my horse along a little quicker to be sure and make it on time. We round the last corner, climb the last hill, and we’ve made it. We stand there quietly with the wind blowing through our hair and the sweet smell of nature filling our nostrils as the big yellow sun slowly peeks over the mountains in the distance. It is an absolutely breathtaking view. The rest of the world fades away as I peacefully enjoy the quiet peace of nature.

I sometimes get caught up in the busy ways of life, the hustle and bustle of the world, but I believe that I must have a way to escape that chaos. I believe in, every once in awhile, enjoying the quiet peace of nature. It clears my head, brings me down to earth, and fills my heart with joy for the world I live in. I can’t explain in words the joy that I feel when the only thing I see is the green of the trees and the blue of the sky, and the only thing I hear is the quiet, peaceful sounds of nature. I believe in enjoying these God given creations.