The person who changed my life

Sarah - Webster City, Iowa
Themes: change

I Believe

Everyone has probably heard of the famous TV show So You Think You Can Dance, but have you heard of Kourtni Lind? Kourtni was a finalist on Season 4 and is known for her positive attitude and her cool, but unusual style of dance.

I believe that people can change your life. Before I knew Kourtni, I felt like my dance life was going downhill. Now, that I have met Kourtni and heard her inspiring words, my life has changed.

My senior dance year came and I was excited to get my happy feet started. After I got on track, I didn’t want to come to classes. Due to my softball schedule, I was in the back row because I wasn’t there when they started the dances. Afterwards, I felt like I wasn’t good enough to be in the class.

Finally, the highlight of my year came that changed my life. It was a cool November day in Webster City. I walked into The Dance Connection with my stomachs’ walls flapping. All of us girls had our noses against the window, like little puppies, waiting for the famous dancer to arrive. At last, we saw her little white car roll into the parking lot. Kourtni Lind had arrived. She came in with her bright eyes as happy as her smile, wrapping us into a big hug. My experience had started. Kourtni taught us a dance called “Carrousel”. She is a character. She is as crazy and weird as the rest of us. Kourtni fit right into our wacky family.

Ms. Lind has taught me so much during those two long days. She told us to be ourselves. God has made you for a reason. He doesn’t want you to change who you are. Also, Kourtni explained that you should have your own style, be unique. When you are dancing you shouldn’t be fazed about what the person next to you is doing. You need to take everything in baby steps. Don’t try to do things all at once and don’t give up when things get rough. Kourtni says that you are always improving and that your dream could be in your hands before you know it. The number one thing she said was to work hard at what you love and everything will fall into place.

This once in a life time experience has changed my life forever. I have been working harder so I can reach my dream, which is to dance at ICCC. When I have a tough situation, I look at it in baby steps, so I can get through it.

People, who change your life, will keep their footprints in your heart. Kourtni has opened up my eyes, so I can see me and not someone I’m trying to be. I feel that I am good enough to be in my dance class again. I will try my hardest with everything she has taught me and I will keep my life moving forward.