Do You Believe in Magic?

Laura - Webster City, Iowa

Have you ever watched ice skating competitions on TV? The practiced few twirl and dance and even do tricks on that slick, unforgiving ice. These shows have always amazed me because I can hardly walk across a stable floor without tripping. What do those ice skaters have that I don’t? I think it’s magic. Yes, you guessed it, I believe in magic.

Magic is really a laughable concept, especially when we’ve all witnessed the man pulling a rabbit out of a hat and the lovely assistant savagely being sawed in two. But the type of magic I’m talking about goes deeper than that. I believe in the magic that fills your heart and warms your soul. I believe in the magic that gives you goose bumps and makes you sure that everything will be alright.

Take, for example, Christmas when you were seven or eight. You would sneak downstairs to see if Santa had come and eaten his cookies yet. I know you all did it, and I did, too. I also remember sitting on the floor in the middle of my living room, cuddled in a blanket, simply staring at that glowing Christmas tree. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. I understand now why I was so mesmerized; Christmas trees are magical.

I believe that magic isn’t only in material things; it’s in people, too. Magic is in your best friend and in your favorite pet. It’s in your grandmother’s embrace and your sister’s laugh. And who knows, maybe it’s inside you as well.

I believe that magic is different for everyone. For me, magic lies in my niece and nephew, good health, and nature. If you can’t think of anything that’s magical to you, don’t worry. We discover new magic everyday whether you read it in a book, watch it on

TV, or see it in the stars. All you have to do is look, and you will find it. And when you do find it, keep it in a safe place, because magic can shine through the most tormenting of storms.