Holy Matrimony

Samantha - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: family, morality

Holy Matrimony

As we journey through the book of life, one of the natural chapters is falling in love. Sliding a ring onto your partners finger, with a promise of unconditional love, commitment, and a best friend. It’s every little girls dream to someday hear those glorious bells, white train streaming behind them, flower petals dancing in the air, and more excitement in their soul than ever before. It’s the complete fulfillment of finally crossing into the bliss of a new partnership.

I believe in the sacrity and bond of marriage. It is a beautiful gift that should never be taken for granted. Vegas weddings, media, infidelity, and debt are just a few aspects prying away at the growing fifty percent divorce rate. It’s almost scary to think that our society is this accepting with those statistics. Flipping through channels on your TV you will find several divorce court shows that are a mockery. Are we supposed to be entertained by these over exaggerated cases of yet another broken marriage?

I believe in the friendship of marriage. My own parents never had that friendship and I know that this was a big part of their final decision to separate. I never want to feel the regret of a sixteen year marriage being thrown away, see the complete terror in my children’s eyes as I explain a separation from their dad or grip the worry of having to support four kids on my own. My own memories of my parents divorce and the impact it has played on our family is exactly why I will take it that much slower, be even that more meticulous, and of course look at the vow of marriage with a much different perspective than my peers.