I Believe in Living Every Day Like it’s Your Last

Jordan - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living every day like it’s your last. Life is about living abundantly and pursuing happiness. To achieve these things, rules must be followed, but risks also need to be taken. God gave His people on Earth the gift of free will in which we can do as we please, but with good cause. I believe in using that gift to do the things you desire before it’s too late.

Last January I met a friend named August Koontz on the night of Incarnate Word High School’s Semi-Formal. That night, I saw how outgoing and compassionate he was to others. August was a junior then at Central Catholic High School I became very fond of. He could tell stories that would never end and keep a crowd laughing for hours. He was also a great big brother to his family and role model to others. Nothing could stop August from having fun and enjoying life.

On a Sunday morning, October 29, 2008, August passed away in his home, at the age of only eighteen. On the day of August’s funeral, blue bracelets were given out that read “The story never ends…” To live life, I feel that if you want to do something and it is important to you, then it’s okay to drop something and do it. Yes, living requires working and earning, but happiness only requires yourself and your mind. My philosophy is to experience all you can, whether it’s traveling to new places, meeting people, activities, or anything, but with responsibility. Take the time to look around and see what you are living with and if you are honestly happy with yourself.

Living every day like it’s my last, I have learned to expect the worst, but hope for the best. I have learned to laugh at my mistakes and correct them without wanting to rip myself apart. Life is a mysterious adventure. It doesn’t come with a map or manual on how to live. It is the ability to choose your own path and direction that makes you who you are, and the mark you will leave on others. The human mind is the most complex thing known to man, and we all have one to fill with interesting and amazing things. I have learned to use my mind and have filled it with not only education, but the things that make me who I am.

I think that about 99.9% of the people on Earth are afraid of death. No one wants to pass with that emptiness inside from being unhappy or not finding the good things in life. I am running on a clock and I don’t know when it will stop. How do I do all the things I want to accomplish in life? I have come to the conclusion that by doing them instead of thinking about them, I am getting closer to achieving them, with the knowledge I am living every day as if it were my last. This I believe.