I Believe in the Power of the Cookie

Sandra - Boynton Beach, Florida

I Believe in the Power of the Cookie!

I believe in the power of the cookie. But, not just any cookie. What comes to mind when you hear or see the word “cookie?” If you are technology minded you might think of an internet tracking cookie. Some one who enjoys shooting may think of skeet. Another, who enjoys cooking, the thought of warm cookies fresh from the oven may come to mind. I would like to tell you about a very special cookie that is only available once a year- the Girl Scout Cookie.

Did you know that cookies have power? In fact they do! They have the power to change lives. Now you may be thinking to yourself, “how can a sweet treat change lives, other than to cause weight gain?”

First, these Cookies help girls learn about a world larger than their microcosm of home and school life. Girls can stay over night in a museum and go behind the scenes. They can visit a pottery shop and learn how pottery wheels and kilns are used. Girls can go camping, learn new skills and travel to places they other wise would not be able to with their families.

And it’s not just girls whose lives are changed. Adults who were not Scouts find themselves challenged with keeping up with girls. Cookies have the power to give adults what they desire to help achieve the goals they and girls have set. When girls and adults try new things for the first time their faces light up. It is nothing short of remarkable.

Second, cookies have the power to teach. At the beginning of each year, girls work together to decide what they want to do and recognitions they want to earn. They know how much they receive from every box of cookie sold. They calculate how many boxes of cookies need to be sold and a minimum number of boxes each girl should try to sell. Without realizing it, they are learning negotiating skills, budget and finance and goal setting. My troop of high school girls successfully planned and went on a trip to San Francisco. Girls go to Mexico, India, Australia, England, and Switzerland, just by putting into practice those very skills.

By the time girls graduate from high school they have the Courage, Character and Confidence in knowing that when they go off to college and out into the world on their own, they will be able to manage relationships, their time, their finances and goals for their future.

Yes, I believe in the power of the cookie. So, the next time you see a girl selling cookies, stop for a moment and say to your self, “those are some powerful cookies.”