Growing from a Boy to a Man

Brandon - Austin, Texas
Themes: change

Growing from a Boy to a Man

My high school years were not ones that I was proud of. Due to a fractured family upbringing I suffered academically. My lack of significant accomplishment had led me to ways that were decadent. As a result it held me back for future undertakings. At that time I had no interest in furthering my education after high school. My mind was not set to wanting anything as I had felt I did not have a future nonetheless. I was back and forth between living with various relatives as well as my mother being in and out the hospital I had lost hope in any real goals or aspirations planned. During the last half of my junior year in high school I was put out of my aunt’s house for street related trouble. Thus forcing me to live with my father; a full-time bishop may I add. It was not until that point of change that woke me up to believing that life is solemn.

Having lived and been raised, majority of the time, by a single mother I had learned things both vital and aspiring to becoming a future man. I had gained a small sense of responsibility such as dish washing and cleaning my room, which were the basic essentials of an every-day adolescent. But as they say, “A woman cannot raise a boy to be a Man”. Now living with my father and a stern step-mother was another world. There were rules that were put into effect and chores that I felt were beyond measure. Little did I know that the experience would later play a major role in my life to becoming the man I am today.

Over time, the chores and responsibility given to me would become a way of life as oppose to my initial thinking that they were only put upon me as a punishment, such as cleaning the bathroom every week and vacuuming the house. The outcome proved positive as I started to see a severe change in my life. Especially accepting god and finally becoming a part of my father’s church had the most impact. As a result to all this, my senior year, I became more involved with school. The whole year I was recognized as an honor student. Being as though my school was a vocational institution, which allowed students to have the opportunity to co-op, I was awarded employment at a steel shop as a draftsman. From there my life had taken off into the world of architectural and civil engineering. The experience has also led me to have other job opportunities later following my first. All in all, I can firmly state that if it had not been for the change, putting God first in all I do and a renewed mindset committed to achievement in all my life’s endeavors, I would not have made it this far. I am now admired by friends and family which, to me, is the ultimate reward for a purpose fulfilling life.