One Man Can Make All the Difference

John - Iowa
Themes: sports

One Man Can Make All the Difference!

I believe Webster City football will be a juggernaut program again, just like in the 80’s. You probably want to know why or how I could possibly believe in an idea as radical as this. Well, it’s really because of one man, and his name is Bob Howard. Because of his stellar football coaching resume and remarkable ability to win games, Howard was the perfect man for the job.

Before Howard began his coaching stint at Webster City less than two years ago, he was at Sigourney-Keota, where he compiled over 200 victories, three state championships, and 13 state playoff appearances. If that wasn’t enough, before he was at Sigourney, he coached in Scranton for three years, where he worked up a 22-5 record and yet another playoff birth.

For the past twelve years, Webster City football for the most part, has been nothing short of disastrous, accumulating losing season after losing season. But that was all going to change with Coach Howard at the helm. The man can simply win ball games wherever he is. Upon his arrival in Webster City, he started working us harder than we’ve ever worked. From early morning speed training, to metabolic weight lifting four weeks straight, he was determined to make us better athletes. In only two years as head coach of the Lynx, Howard has made a huge impact on this program. He led the Lynx to a spectacular victory over defending state champion Humboldt Wildcats 27-20 on Homecoming Night in 2007. Needless to say, a big win for the program and it changed the way we players looked at the game of football. We had more confidence in ourselves and in our abilities, we had acquired a sudden swagger, and we had found an identity. There appeared a sudden hop in our step that wasn’t there before. Although we were disappointed in not making the playoffs that year, it was still a successful season, especially considering where we were the year before, being a perennial doormat for everyone to stomp on.

What Coach Howard had accomplished in just a one year period was truly remarkable for anyone’s standards, but the fun didn’t stop there. This past year, the Lynx had a breakout season, finishing second out of eight teams in their respective district, and making it to the state playoffs for the first time in thirteen years. Before football started, we were picked to finish seventh. No one knew how good we were going to be. Only we and Coach Howard knew our potential, and that we could go out this season and shock everybody. Thanks to him, we did just that!

The important thing about Howard’s philosophy is that it doesn’t stop there. The miracle year we just experienced will carry over to next year, and to the year after that, and so on. That’s the beautiful thing about starting a dynasty. We will never stop having success, as long as Coach Howard is here to stay.