All You Need

Nicholas - Webster City, Iowa
Themes: love

As the saying goes, all you need is love. But not just puppy love, or ‘We’ve been dating for two weeks’ love, but the kind of love that binds friends, that makes a mom get out of bed at three in the morning to get her daughter from a friends house because she’s homesick. That kind of love that can bring two people together for the rest of their lives, and that changes the world. I believe that love is truly the only thing that anyone ever needs.

Just take a look around you, and if you look close enough at all the problems in the world, you’re sure to find the absence of love. In every case, from oil embargos, to genocide, to fist fights in school and yelling at your little brother, the underlying problem is hate. If humans had an unfaltering ability and yearning to love one another, there would be no violence, no stealing, no greed, and no hate. But as we all know, what we want is usually not what we need, and that is love. Humans have an impeccable knack for wanting things for themselves, not sharing it, and shoving anyone out of the way to get it. The prime example here is money.

Virtually everyone everywhere is in a battle to the death to get as much money in as little time as possible. From oil companies to big business CEO’s, the center of the universe is currency. But while our planet’s billionaires speed around in Lamborghinis and have pool parties, the majority of Earth’s people have terminal diseases, or are starving, or are living under an overpass. If more love was shared, we would an enormously improved world. If people would take the time to donate to charity, help a homeless person onto their feet, or something as simple as smiling at a passing stranger, it would inevitably spread. Good intentions, no matter how small, have an effect for the better.

So, how can I say to you that love is what we need? Well, first let’s determine what we NEED. It would be reasonable to assume that in order to live, one must be happy. Depression leads to all manner of health complications, and studies have been conducted with chimps that show that a living thing without companionship eventually quits trying to live. Now ask yourself, have you ever seen anyone happier than two friends sharing goofing off, or a mother holding her child, or a couple that has been together for nearly their entire lives? Everyone needs love, whether it’s an AIDS infected child from Africa, or the president of Big Tobacco. When someone experiences real, thoughtful, caring love, they can’t fight the urge to share that.

In a world desperately needing good change, love is the only answer. Everyone from every corner of the Earth needs it, not only to make ourselves happier, but to share that with others and make a more worthwhile world.