Nathan - Webster City, Iowa

There isn’t a whole lot I’m sure of nowadays, but one thing I believe is that life can be very closely related to a game of poker. When it comes down to it, the entire advancement of society has been based on the interactions between people. People working together produced societies which has been the basis for life as we know it. Everyday you interact with someone else, whether it be to pass someone in the hall, or to exchange information on a certain subject. Poker mainly deals with your, slight, but ever important interactions with everyone else at the table. The only way you have an idea as what to do is based on whatever the other person does, or picking up on the interactions between them, you, and everyone else.

The most direct example of the connection of poker to everyday life would be to anyone who would happen to lie to someone else. In poker it is called a bluff, but on the streets it goes by no other name. In a game someone who starts out with a lot of power, or a large chip stack in comparison could bluff and act like they have the best hand just because they don’t have much to lose. In real life you could see it as a situation where if someone were to spill something in your house. They really don’t have much to lose by saying no, it wasn’t them, and you should think that they really shouldn’t lie about it so you’ll believe them. In the game of poker the worst hand probably just won, and in real life the culprit got away.

The whole connection of interactions in poker, and interactions in real life can be seen completely different given your point of view. You can compare how people are doing at the table based on how well they’re doing chip-wise just as easily as how’re they’re doing in reality economically. People with a lot of chips, or who are well off at the time are more likely to take bigger risks like, invest more, or spend more. People with not as many chips, or with a lower income are more likely to act more conservative, and play things safer.

Poker is a magnificent mind game that I am fascinated by. I’m not condoning gambling to those who see it this way, gambling is a dangerous personal choice that some may choose to take. One thing everyone should take from this comparison is to look at situations in life with more tactics. If someone’s acting a certain way, wonder why they are acting that way instead of taking it a face value. Go ahead and try, and just see who all you can call out bluffing.