I believe you should stand up for yourself, be who you are, and let it show

Kristin - Webster City, Iowa

I believe you should stand up for yourself, be who you are, and let it show. I, Kristin, believe this. Going day by day faking your way through it, is not life. I strongly believe this. God made you and me who we are for a reason. He has a purpose for you and I. That is why we’re here. Being who you are is standing up for yourself. Not allowing people to walk all over you, or tell you right from wrong. With certain guide lines of course.

Basically I’m talking about the kids at school. I’m not writing this for just the kids who have troubles being themselves, but for the kids who can’t except others for being who they are. You may think this doesn’t really happen but trust me folks it happens. It happens everyday to someone walking through the halls of your local school. Everyone is judged no matter what it maybe, from what they’re wearing, to what their hair looks like, and even what kind of car they drive. You’re all judged, and we all judge too. I’ll admit, I’m guilty as charged, and more than likely so are you. Some of you attend school, would you say you’ve judged or been judged? If you’re shaking your head yes, in agreement to this I’m sure you’re not the only one. But, are we really being fair to those who are expressing themselves and being who they are? The answer is no, we don’t like to be judged on who we are so why do we judge in return? We do it to fit in and be like everyone else. I, Kristin Elm, feel I have tried to fit in for to long. I believe that if people don’t like me for who I am I will find people that do.

I’ve lived eighteen short years of life, and I wont lie it took me a good eighteen years to figure out who I wanted to be. I went from worrying about if my friends would still like me if my favorite color was green instead of pink, to would I still fit in if I didn’t go to that party? I, Kristin, believe I have spent to many years trying to please everyone else and not worrying enough about myself. I’ve let the real me slip away. There are times I can’t stand up for things I believe in. Times I can’t even stand up for myself because I’m scared of what people might say or do. I worry too much about what people think. I, Kristin Elm, believe I do this. Have I tried to change how I am, you bet I have! I’m just not strong enough to stick it out, but this time…I believe I am ready to stand up for myself, be who I am, and I’m going to let it show!