The Best Years: Childhood

Branden - Webster City, Iowa
Themes: children

I believe childhood is the best years of anyone’s life. As adults we try to escape the stressful lifestyles that we live in by doing things that can take us back to our childhood. These activities include things like going to amusement parks, Disney Movies, and watching fireworks. Childhood is filled with carefree days that include sky-high dreams, never-ending imagination, and important life lessons. With such little responsibility and so much fun to be had who wouldn’t want to be a kid again?

Go ask any child what they want to be when they grow up. I bet you didn’t get any answers like a janitor or a waitress did you? Their high pitched voices probably exclaimed something like a professional athlete or a doctor. You see, no matter how far stretched one of their dreams may be they always believe that they can reach that goal and achieve anything. Children can set their goals high and don’t have to worry about if it doesn’t work out because they can always change those goals to be bigger and better.

Another great thing about childhood is how children have such big imaginations. I sure miss the days of shuffling around on my knees in my living room with my Matchbox Cars. I would make the engine roar by babbling my lips together and when a crash would occur, I’d make a crackling noise. A child can transform their backyard into a jungle or a sandbox into a monster truck course by simply using their imaginations. Silly little activities like this can keep a child entertained for hours.

The last reason why I believe childhood is the best years of anyone’s life is because you learn so many important things during that period of your life. One great thing about children is they are so naturally accepting to others. They don’t judge others because they are black or white, mentally challenged or normal; they look through that to see the person to be like everyone else. As a child you learn things like how to be polite and to use proper manners, but the most important thing they learn is friendship. Children begin to understand that everything is not, “MINE!” and that in order to be a good friend, they need to share. They learn to respect each other and how to treat one another. Every one of these things shapes children into being better friends and also leads to them to becoming great individuals in the future.

Although our childhood years are behind us they will be something we’ll never forget. The memories will always make you grin and wish you could relive those carefree days. I hope you keep the childhood dreams, imagination, and lessons alive in your heart forever because I know I will.