Restoring Tradition

Ryan - Webster City, Iowa

Restoring Tradition

I believe that the rich tradition of Webster City Football has returned. I believe in Coach Bob Howard.

In Webster City, football has always been king over all sports. All of the die-hard fans that have attended the games over the years would be able to tell you all about the rich history of Webster City Football. Somewhere along the line, the pride in the program was lost from 1997-2007. Seeing this unacceptable trend, one man decided to take it upon himself to change the losing climate in Webster City.

Bob Howard was hired as the athletic director and football coach of Webster City in 2007. He is a living legend among high school football coaches in Iowa. He has a career record of 259 wins, and 67 losses compiled over his 32 years of coaching. Wherever Coach Howard goes, wins follow. He started out his coaching career at Jefferson-Scranton where he spent his first three years. Howard then went to Sigourney-Keota, where he truly made a name for himself. Howard led Sigourney-Keota to 13 playoff appearances, including three state titles in 1995, 2001, and 2005. After his coaching stint there, he decided to come to the once proud program of Webster City. His past success alone was enough to instill excitement and hope back into the program.

After playing for Coach Howard for two years, I’ve seen why he has had such a successful career. His understanding of the game of football is absolutely amazing to me. There is never a situation where he is unsure what to do. He always puts his players in the best position to succeed. His players know that, and respect him for it. Coach Howard cares about every individual on his team, as he encourages everyone to strive to be better. Not only does he care what his players do on the football field, Coach Howard wants them to be successful in every other sport, and in the classroom. Success has spread to other sports as well in Webster City, as Howard’s weightlifting program has created better athletes. It’s no wonder why he lead the football team to a 7-4 record, and its first playoff appearance in over a decade in 2008.

The future of Webster City football is in good hands with Coach Howard. With him at the helm, the sky’s the limit for the football program here in Webster City. I believe in Bob Howard.