The Glass is Half Full

Katherine - Webster City, Iowa

Positive Thinking

Sometimes life is not easy. Stress at work, too much homework, arguments with friends and family, and being around irritable people can make someone feel negative thoughts. Being in a bad mood does not help any situation get better. I believe in the power of positive thinking. It helps in achieving your goals and it helps other people in achieving their goals. I have experienced many benefits of positive thinking in my own life.

This past June, my mother and I moved into a new home. We had two levels of furniture, clothes, and a lot of other stuff to move. It was not going to be an easy task! We called everyone we knew that could help, but they were either suffering from a back injury, busy with work, or out of town. We knew we had to focus on the positive result of being able to sleep in our new home. There were times during those two days of moving that we could have easily just given up. It was hard work, and we were tired and sore. Our positive attitude and our unwillingness to let negativity be part of our thoughts kept us going. If we had not had that mindset, the furniture might still be there. We just kept telling ourselves that we could do it, and we had no other choice than to think positively about the task at hand. After two days of hard work, we were in our new home.

Another example of using the power of positive thinking is something that happens without even thinking about it. Most mornings, I would like to just roll over and go back to sleep. If I am facing a difficult day I don’t want to deal with, it would be the easier thing to not go to school, but I get up, take a shower, and in 30 minutes, the day looks brighter. Positive thinking is not always the easiest path, but it is the most rewarding path.

Encouraging yourself to be positive is not the only way to practice positive thinking. Encouraging others is also very important. I have the privilege of taking my 6 year old nephew to school every morning. With a new baby sister and a 3 year old brother, he usually doesn’t get as much attention as he might want. Everyday, I make sure to tell him to have a good day and have fun, He smiles as he leaves the car, and I know I have started his day in a positive way.

The power of positive thinking is a strong force. It gives you strength to do things you think are impossible. It can help tackle a difficult day, and reinforcement of positive thinking by encouraging others can make a difference in someone’s life.