What Do I Believe?

Lydia - Webster City, Iowa

I was asked to write a “This I Believe” essay. In order to write a “This I Believe” essay, I need to figure out what exactly I believe. I believe in God. I believe that I am a daddy’s little girl. I believe that my senior year of high school should be over so I can go to college. I also believe that I believe many things.

The first thing that came to mind when I was asked, “What do you believe?” was that I believe in God. I feel that He, and all that He is, is such a broad topic to write a relatively short essay. Do I believe in Heaven and Hell? Do I believe in angels and demons? Do I believe in miracles, Jesus Christ, everything that the Bible tells us? Of course I do! I also believe that I am here for a reason. What that reason is, I don’t know quite yet. I believe that God knows what I am here for and He will point it out to me soon enough. Now, I’m not here to preach to you, I promise.

The next thing I thought of, is that I believe I am a daddy’s little girl. The whole, “Dad, can I have…” whatever? With the answer, “Sure! Here you go.” That describes me to a T. Then again being an only child, I really don’t have any competition for that role in our family. No football star brother, no younger sibling that gets everything and I get blamed for the broken arm, and no other sister to steal my dad’s attention. Besides, with another sister, my little pinky would get awfully cold! The next “can I have…” question I plan on asking, “Can I have a laptop for college?” Wait, that would mean it is time for college, right? This reminds me of my next point!

I believe high school needs to be over, I am ready for college, NOW! If you know me, you know that this disease that seniors get, senioritis I believe it is called, continues to get worse every day I enter this world called high school. I believe that if I had the choice, I would go to Crossroads tomorrow! My dad went there and describes his great experiences, one of my best friends attends there currently and tells me how much more fun it is than high school, and Rochester is one of my favorites cities! When I close my eyes I can see, taste, hear, feel, and smell Crossroads! It is right there, just under my nose and within my grasp. But no, I need to graduate first! Rules!?!

I believe in God. I believe that I am a daddy’s little girl. I believe that my senior year of high school should be over so I can go to college. My list could go on. I believe I’ll have children. I believe that I believe in many things! Enough about me, what do you believe?