Reconnecting

Mary - Jacksonville, Florida
Themes: change, family

I had not lived with my sister for 34 years. Once we graduated from college our paths separated, as siblings sometimes do. She moved to Hawaii and I stayed in our home town.

During 2004 our Mom developed Bladder Cancer. Even with the removal of her bladder and all of her effort the cancer returned in 2005 and Mom was told she had six months to live.

Mom agreed to move in with me and my husband. My sister decided to quit her job and move home to take care of Mom. After 34 years my sister and I were under the same roof again.

For six months we took care of Mom and during that time my sister and I rekindled our relationship. The six months were not always easy… things said in anger, the stress of watching your Mother die but those six months were the most valuable time of my life because although we lost our mother, my sister and I found each other.

I believe that it is possible to repair relationships we hold dear, relationships that may have drifted apart because of time, distance or anger. This I believe.