Achieving Greatness Together

Madison - Webster City, Iowa

Achieving Greatness Together

When we work as individuals we can achieve what’s average, but when we all work together as one, we can achieve greatness, this I believe. Barack Obama, our new 44th president said something similar to this in his inauguration speech. President Obama was most likely speaking about our country and joining as one body of people to over come the plethora of challenges we all face this New Year, however those very powerful words spoke to me in a different way. The place it hit closest to home for me was the basketball court. Basketball has been a big part of my life and a passion for me ever since I was old enough to dribble a ball. I’ve always strived to be better, or be as good as one of the older girls I looked up to at a young age. It wasn’t till my past three years of playing varsity basketball that I realized it didn’t matter how hard I worked or how hard the other twelve girls on my team worked if we don’t all work together. When the twelve of us work together as one family, body and team every Tuesday and Friday night, you will see an energized and hardworking squad that usually comes out of the night with a win. The nights that we play as twelve individuals only out there for ourselves, fighting to be the one who has the most points, the best stats, or even the one that will be the front of the sports page the following day, that’s when we fall short and achieve average at best, usually resulting in a loss.

So maybe basketball wasn’t exactly what President Obama was directing his speech toward, and in the end you can look at it a lot of different ways to find a meaning. Once you find the roll you play no matter how big the goal you are working to achieve rather it be acting as the United States instead of the red and blue ones to playing as a team rather than twelve individuals, then you will realize when we all work together to achieve one common goal, that’s when we can achieve greatness.