A kind word sticks forever

Michael - Neenah, Wisconsin

On January 1st in 2000 I started to train our church youth group how to snowboard on weekly bases. I would consider most of these kids my close friends even though the different ages. Some kids were faster learners then others.

The first attempt to teach someone gave me great patients. I immediately saw frustration in their eyes when they couldn’t understand how to control their board. I then began to compliment on their progress even though they were making very little progress. Every encouraging word that came out of my mouth seemed to give them high confidence and a better success rate in the sport. I have seen girls cry because of the frustration that would overwhelm them. I would take my time and compliment them and also had the patience to work with them. I would dedicate my time to teach them so we could start snowboarding as a group. In the matter of hrs these kids were learning the sport and confidently cruising down the hill.

I learned a lot that year while I was instructing these kids how to snowboard. I believe an encouraging word goes a long way. I believe this practice can be used in the work place and also be used in everyday life to help others achieve what they want.

I have seen mangers yell at their employees in an aggressive manner. I believe when yelling and unkind words are said the work results are very minimal. A work place should use kind words in training and lift up their employees with encouraging words. To this day our church youth group loves to snowboard .The youth carries a positive attitude every time they go. If I could publish a phrase it would be as follows, “A kind word goes a long way, take a second and say one!”

Your spouse, sibling, co worker and friends will love you if you can apply that phrase to your life. Naturally people want to feel loved. I believe words can kill and words can heal. Words will let people know what you truly feel inside. Words can also have the ability to lift someone’s spirit in a hard time.

I sometimes struggle with the concept of a kind word. I know sometimes if I put myself in others shoes all I am looking for is someone to say a kind word to me. I believe that kind words stick forever.