All are created equal?

Nicole - USA
Themes: love

There are many things that I believe in; one of those things is love. I believe that everyone has a certain someone special, just for them. I do not think that anyone should have the right to tell another person who they can or can not be in love with, who they can marry. So what if two women love one another? If you have every truly been in love or known someone who has been then you know appearances don’t matter. Gender is simply part of appearance. It is what is on the inside of that person that makes you fall in love with them.

For the last six years my mother has been living with, and in love with another woman. I have seen my mother and her partner together, and I can see how much they love each other. My mother was never as happy with my father as she is with Cheryl now. This may be what has sparked my passion for gay and lesbian rights. I know that my mother always taught me that you can’t judge a book by its cover. We as people are supposed to look into a person’s heart and not look at their skin so why do we look at their gender? Does it really matter if a man and a woman marry, or two women? Why can’t we just say that two people who love each other got married?

Some people disapprove of homosexual relationships and say that they are immoral. That is one of the biggest reasons homosexual couples cannot marry in every state. My only response to them is that everyone is created equal and therefore everyone should have a right to choose who they marry. If it is not your personal preference to marry someone of the same gender, then don’t… you don’t have to! But don’t let your beliefs infringe on someone else’s right to marry the person they love. This prevents not only a legal declaration of their feelings but in many situations these couples are not allowed to list their partner as a beneficiary for life insurance or take advantage of other “marital benefits”.

So what do I believe? I believe that love is blind. Love does not see skin color or gender, and neither should we. We should as Americans, who proudly proclaim that all people are created equal, give all people equal rights to choose who they marry. Not just grant this to those who are lucky enough to find that there special someone is the opposite sex. It may be controversial but then again, many things that Americans have the right to choose are. You can disapprove, that’s fine… it’s what you believe. But just remember if everyone could choose who they married that it wouldn’t stop all of the straight people in this world from getting married, and it would treat everyone fairly, the way this country should.