I believe in Adoption

Pat - Elgin, Illinois

I believe in Adoption. I believe that God has adopted us. I believe that each of us, should adopt some other person.

Adoption is putting who we are on the line. It is actually saying we believe in no hungry people, and that no one should go through life alone. Our act is saying we cannot and will not tolerate loneliness of another near, while we are here on earth. I believe we must hate the pain it causes.

Adoption need not be only the full-time care of another, it can be as small a commitment as listening to a lonely person every day, or feeding someone who is starving…for love, food, shelter, others, with that same commitment. Think about it; if we truly listen to, or honestly identify what another’s needs are, with the same permanence as adoption, we will find solutions for the needs we identify. In so doing, we adopting the need and committing to the solution.

We rationalize the act of adoption and eliminate whatever guilt we may sense when we do not, such as “I give to other causes” or” I believe adoption is a gift”, but it is really not a gift; it is a responsibility. What do we think Paul Newman intended by creating Newman’s own, if not his total commitment to solving the needs of others. I believe he saw responsibility and adopted it as his own…to live on forever, and it most certainly will. So can ours.

I believe that while it may a gift to be able to ‘traditionally’ adopt, bringing someone in to our home and under our roof, we can have the gift of responsibility to give of ourselves to others, every chance that we can, whether adopting her pain for an hour or a day, feeding his empty belly, hearing one’s wanting words. Friends tell me every day that they wish they could share in someone’s life but they have not been afforded the opportunity. How many opportunities do each of us pass-by even at lunch time. Why does it take a $3000.00 ministry trip, as fine as such things are, for us to find a needy person or a storage room to build or a house need?

Most who claim to be initiators, facilitators, or protectors, in the caring of others end up part of the problem, because today people focus on the notorious behaviors needing regulation which steal the attention of us all, and so, comes creation of road blocks and bureaucracies which feed on, or off of, the love and money of people who try to do the providing. The consequences may not be intentional but they are real, just the same. They deprive millions every day of helping or being helped. Billions, likely trillions, of dollars wasted; droves of others driven away.

I believe that if every person, in every church, every jurisdiction focused on doing just one thing for just one person every day, there would soon be no more people to help.