The Power of Love

Ashlyn - Columbia, South Carolina

I am a first, middle, and only child, all at the same time. Sounds complicated, right? Not really, considering this type of situation is becoming more common all the time. My parents divorced when I was two years old. My dad moved to Atlanta, so for many years it was just my mom and I. A then single mother, she worked to support the both of us while raising me. I was all my mom had for a long time. Even at such a young age, I learned how to be a support system for my mom and realized how important those support systems are. My grandparents also helped take care of me, and gave me another system of support and love. When I was seven, my mom remarried and I gained two new step-brothers, and a steady father figure. This was new to me, having a guy in the house. However, even with this new family, my mom still needed me, and I most definitely needed her. My mom found out she was having a baby when I was ten years old. Like most kids, news of a baby is upsetting because all you can think about is how mom won’t have time for you anymore. My mom made sure she still had time for me. She helped me go through some rough times during my teenage years, and in turn I helped her. A divorce is generally considered a bad thing—but I think my mom and dad’s divorce gave us a bond stronger than most mother/daughter relationships. She taught me the importance of loving yourself, loving others, being and having a strong support system. My mom’s my best friend.