Changing the World, One House at a Time

Sydne - Columbia, South Carolina

Imagine this—paying $250 to sleep on the floor of a high school and waking up before 6:00 each morning to work on a roof for a week during summer vacation…Sounds completely absurd, right? Well, not to me. Every summer for the past six years, I have volunteered with an organization called World Changers. This is a missions-based association in which teenagers and adults from all over the country take a week off of their normal lives to participate in service projects. Most of these projects include repairing roofs, painting, and building handicap ramps for those who are “less fortunate.” I do this neither for the self-gratification nor for the glory from others. Seeing the look on a wheelchair-bound person’s face when he can actually get into and out of his house without assistance or the joy associated with a roof that no longer leaks is enough to keep me going back year after year. Every time I have the opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life, I feel that it is my personal and moral duty to do whatever I can to help their situation. I started doing multiple World Changers projects each summer and so far have participated in 13 of them. I also have gotten involved with other organizations like Nails in Hand and Labor of Love in order to partake in projects throughout the year. Most people view these service opportunities as being “too much work” and depend on the fact that someone else will fulfill the position; however, if everyone had this mentality, nothing would ever be accomplished. For this reason, I believe in the importance of volunteerism and taking it upon myself to change the world—one house at a time.