Fast pace, Third Base, Broken Face

Andrew - Grandville, Michigan

It was summer in the park where I used to play with my friends from little league. Baseball is widely considered one of the safest sports: No tackling, No contact, No possible leg breaks. We were in the heat of a big game, I was rounding third base and heading home when a baseball, thrown from the outfield, hit me in the nose. I started bleeding profusely ( Not before touching home of course.) realizing that my nose was broken. It was at that point, that I realized that although I loved baseball, It was not immune to danger. I stopped playing after that.

I picked up golf. I actually became quite good, a child prodigy if you will. A sport in which everything went well until an untimely death involving cattle and a Pro-V1.

For a while, I couldn’t play a safe sport without getting hurt.

Since sports, especially at that time, were such a big portion of my life, I felt as though I was slowly but surely was becoming a mess even though in hind sight, it was fine. In my eight grade mind though, the sky was falling.

Eventually it seemed like every sport I played was surrounded in danger. The more obsecure and safe it seemed, the more I seemed cursed. It wasn’t until I broke my ankle after a game of dodgeball in freshman gym class that I came to the realization that all sports are dangerous, just like anything. It made me realize that when I dediced to do things in life, I would usually pick the easy way out instead of the most rewarding.

It’s funny how a slip in gym class can trigger an epiphany. The following summer, I went to camp where my sister was a counselor. The summer before I had reservations, but I went and I became infatuated with camp culture and eventually came back every summer since.

I believe the main reason people are hesistant to do things is the notion that they will get hurt. A couple together for years but thoughts of marriage has never passed their minds. A single mom needing a raise but too afraid to ask her boss. A college student who stays close to home because of the fear of the unknown. Fear can effect people’s decisions and does daily. However, Success takes risk. Can you imagine if Bill Gates never shared his plans of microsoft, which triggered a long line of technological advancements such as the internet. First off, This document would never be shared on Google docs, and second, the world would be a much different place. The ideas of people, brilliant or not brilliant, should be shared because who knows if they may one day effect millions of people.

This consequently taught me that anything can hurt, even dodgeball, but if you love it and believe in yourself, you really should come back to it. I started golfing again, enough to make the golf team at least if only for JV. I also started playing baseball that same summer to the pleasure of my doubters and most notably, myself.