Music Is Our Escape

Stephanie - Stratford, Iowa

Have you ever felt like your head was spinning so fast that you couldn’t even think? I believe that music is an escape and a way of expressing yourself. I have found that whenever I need to get away from my thoughts that music works the best. Music and people can be categorized into three major categories: composing, performing, and listening. Whether you’re jamming out to the latest hit song on your iPod or you’re playing your favorite Beethoven piece on the piano, music is good for the soul and it keeps the mind healthy.

Composers are people who create their own music. I believe that almost everyone has composed music at some point without even realizing it. Tapping your fingers on your desk to whatever syncopated rhythm you feel like to making up your own words to your favorite melody to actually sitting down and writing out music; everyone is a composer even if you don’t think so. People make music for a reason whether it be out of boredom or in search of a little entertainment or just to let out a little frustration; it has a purpose.

Performers are people who play or sing music. I believe that everyone has been a performer at least once in their lifetime but most people are frequent performers. Singing in a choir or playing a musical instrument are both public ways of performing but everyone’s guilty of rocking out to their favorite song in the shower or in their car every once in a while. The type of music you choose to play or sing usually represents your mood or the occasion; it has a purpose.

Listeners are people who use their ears to pay close attention. I believe that everyone is a listener; some are just better listeners than others. We almost always have the choice of what we listen to when it comes to music. I believe that our choice in music and what we choose to listen to allows us to express who we are as individuals. Rock, rap, pop, country, classical, or hip-hop all offer different perspectives on life and they allow us to relate in our own unique way. The genre of music that we choose to listen to is usually picked based on the reason why we’re listening, whether we are angry or happy we just want to escape from our thoughts for a while. We always listen to music for a purpose.

I believe that music is an awesome way to escape from everything and to be your own individual. Music lets you choose how you express your personality and let your emotions show. Music is our escape. Whether you’re a composer, performer, or listener, or all of the above, I believe that music is good.