God Doesn

Dustin - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: question

A single mother raising six kids on her own lives in the suburbs of Chicago. Her husband was killed six years ago by a drunk driver. She currently works three jobs to make ends meet, yet the bills keep piling on top of each other. She lost her home to a foreclosure, and had to sell most of her belongings to help cover the debt. The doctors have informed her of a quickly spreading cancer, and she may only have a few months left on this earth. Still, her whole family attends church every Sunday, as was the tradition from her childhood. From her mouth came prayers for miracles from the heavens, but the miracles didn’t come. When is God going to help her? He is the Lord Almighty who struck down the Wall of Jericho, parted the Red Sea; does God not see what is happening to His people? Avid Christians are always preaching that “God has everything happening for a purpose,” so what purpose is he trying to get at now?

Biblical times were full of miracles: the water turning to wine, the blind man regaining his sight, the healing of the leper’s skin. Saul, an angry man who hated the followers of Jesus, was blinded by a light emanating from Heaven. Jesus spoke to him, and it redirected the outlook on Saul’s life; Saul later became known as Paul, a disciple of Jesus. God sent the seven plagues on Egypt to free his people from Pharaohs grasp. The twelve disciples roamed the lands, preaching about the Lord and performing miracles of healing in the streets. The power of the Lord was seen from the Sea of Galilee to the brink of Pontius Pilate’s realm. None of this happens now; miracles like these remain non-existent. I believe God is out there somewhere, but I believe that He doesn’t care anymore.

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) He created it in His own image, and the world was beautiful. Adam and Eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge, God got angry and banished them. Christians preach “Our God is a forgiving God,” but apparently He can’t forgive everything. Because of Adam and Eve’s actions, the world took its course and we end up with the Earth we live in today. A world full of fear: fear of criminals, fear of economy, fear of death. A world brimming with threats of terrorists, ugly divorces, and sicknesses that can cripple societies. Was this the world God picked for us, and if He knew, why wouldn’t He change it? “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13); I bet the single mother prays for that strength. She, along with many others, won’t get that strength though, because the truth is God doesn’t care.