I Believe Lou Gehrig’s Disease is Torture

Carl - USA
Themes: illness

“See ya later Grandpa. I’ll stop in again sometime. I love you”

A mumble is all that follows.

I look at my grandmother to play to role of translator.

“He said will do, and I love you too.”

It never used to be this bad. My grandpa was always able to function and talk just like a normal person. This happened until the horrible day when he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. The doctors said ALS was essentially a disease that would make grandpa lose control of his entire body. Breathing, talking, moving, and controlling any movement at all would soon become impossible for him. At first I thought I would be able to handle the quick changes my family would go through. I was wrong. It was this misunderstanding that makes me believe Lou Gehrig’s Disease is torture.

I have seen firsthand what this disease does to a person. It starts out small but then expels its horrible effects on the entire body. I watched as my grandpa’s small breathing problem led to a dependency of oxygen canisters. I stood on the sidelines as his food intake went from eating pizza and burgers, to relying on a feeding tube. His entire body was and still is shutting down on him. Watching my grandpa turn from the tough man made of irony, into a fragile, frail, almost dead man is why I believe Lou Gehrig’s Disease is torture.

There is no medication for Lou Gehrig’s Disease. There is not magic pill or procedure that will remove this horrible curse from his body. The only way out of the strong grasp of Lou Gehrig is death. Knowing that I can’t say, “Everything will be alright” is why I believe Lou Gehrig’s Disease is torture.

To this day, I still have yet to grip the fact that I will lose my grandpa. He has been one of the few constant blessings in my life that has always been there for me. No matter what the problem was, no matter what the situation, my grandpa was always there for me because he loved me, and I loved him. Knowing that someday, I will have to resort to saying, “I love you” to my grandpa in heaven is why I believe Lou Gehrig’s Disease is torture.