David’s and Goliath’s live on

Colton - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: sports

David’s and Goliath’s live on

Colton Hyer, Nine Mile Falls, WA: Of all the years I’ve played and watched sports there is a common trend among all sports. It may not be one’s talent or another’s brute force that captures a title or the attention of those that witness the event. I mean next month most people will have forgotten. So what is it that captures an athlete a place in time? It’s heart. Those precious moments in history when the David’s stand against the Goliaths and say “I don’t care what the odds are. I’m going to give everything I have.

As a senior in High School I played basketball in a church league. We had a depressing 2-9 regular season and we were the last seeded team in the district tournament. We lost our first game to the defending champions. We felt all was lost, but then something stirred within us and we fought all day long up the loser’s bracket until we made it to the championship round with the team that we had lost to earlier. I don’t think anybody could believe we were there with them. We were outnumbered 4 to 1 and our star player had just gone down with an injury, we had played two more games than them, they were bigger, stronger and more talented. As we went into half time we were hanging with these guys! We were getting excited, but our dreams soon began fading away as the other team could rotate guys in and we had to tough it out. Fatigue and cramps were taking their toll. As the final minute approached we were down, but I wasn’t finished with them yet. We stole and put up buckets back to back but it wasn’t enough, just like our effort.

So they were the champions but when the team recognition came around to us you would have thought we were. We walked (very gingerly) off the court with our heads high knowing we had accomplished what nobody thought we could.

Whatever your goals are in life, if it’s what you want to do, don’t let anybody tell that you can’t accomplish it. Shoot for the sky and accomplish your dreams. It’s all in your determination, persistence, and your heart.

I like to think about the David’s such as the 1967 Texas Western Men’s Basketball Team, or the 1980 U.S. Men’s Hockey Team. I know it’s fictional but think about Rocky against the Russian. This principle in life can be applied to almost everything. Think about the Revolutionary War, the Space Race, Spartacus or the Jamaican Bobsled Team. It’s not always about who wins. If you notice about half of these didn’t, but they’re still remembered, and why? It’s about their heart, their will to give everything they had, and that’s something that nobody can take away from them or you. True champions are exhausted having accomplished “the impossible”. This I believe.