Something to Learn

Madeleine - Webster City, Iowa

As a five year old, girl going to bed when it was still light out was really hard. Luckily, for me it was winter and in Iowa it gets dark at about four forty-five or so. Laying in bed on that winter night, I remember thinking that something felt wrong. I couldn’t put my finger on it or even wrap my mind around it. Five minutes later however, I was thinking about something else. I was five and my attention span stretched as far as a piece of orbit’s gum, it only goes so far and then it breaks. Thinking about the scary shadows cast from my closet nightlight, another stream of light cast another. The light came from the black hall on the other side of my door. It had to be late, but I really couldn’t tell time so the clock on my wall was really a nuisance. I waited and waited for something to happen. All that went on was scattering footsteps meeting the creaking, wood floor. Some time past by, but that’s all I really knew. Then my father swung my door open saying the very words that are still with me today, “Put on your sweats”, he said. I did as he asked pulling on my St. Thomas Aquinas School sweatshirt and sweatpants. Then I went into the hall, down the stairs, and to the window overlooking the driveway. Flashing blue, red, and white lights reflected in my eyes. My mother and my new baby brother were nowhere to be seen. I believe that everything happens for a reason, good or bad.

The night my brother had his first seizure changed my entire life completely, and even though the frustrations have been more than hard I have to believe there is a reason why we were given this challenge. I used to tell my mom when I was little that we were the special ones, because no one I knew at that time had a special needs child in their family. Of course, I still believe that today, even when he has three seizures a night I know that equals three hours of sleep. He is also non-verbal which equals painful communication, as in pinching, biting and hitting. Most of those things never really bothered me. The main reason I always got mad at my brother was because I had to baby sit him constantly. That meant less time for friends, but less time for friends meant spending time with my brother. I have learned more from him than any class that I have taken. I have learned patience, how to read people, how to take care of any situation while caring for a child, and responsibility. I found out that only good can come from the bad.

When you see a child overjoyed by popping popcorn it can only put a smile on your face. My brother has been doing from the day he could walk. He also is the only person that can make me genuinely laugh at any moment in the day, and it’s not because he’s telling a joke. He’s more than likely making funny faces at me or pinching my nose with cooking utensils. So, you see in my life I have every reason to believe that everything happens for a reason. The situation can be good or bad, eventually something can be learned.