I believe in the importance of a good friend

Erin - South Carolina

I believe in the importance of a good friend. Defining a good friend, best friend or true friend changes and depends according to the individual. Among other things, a good friend is a person who supports, encourages, and accepts faults. For me, my sister takes the role of my good friend. I have many friends in my life that play this role at times, but not quite like my sister. I feel blessed to have a sister that I am so close with.

I consider a good friend someone who will always be there. Friendships grow closer and drift away at times, but good friends last. I know that my sister would drop almost anything if I really needed her, and I would do the same for her. Moving two hours away from my sister has changed our relationship, but I know it will always be there in some form. We may be closer at times, but we will always be friends. Granted, sisters are more closely tied than friends in some ways, but my sister and I choose to be tied.

Another important aspect of a best friend is sharing the good as well as the bad. My sister was with me when I graduated high school, but she was also with me at the funeral of a friend. It is important to have someone to confide in and someone to listen. I consider my sister a good friend because she is someone I can be honest with. I can tell her anything and I know that she will listen to me.

Last, a true friend is someone that will not judge. I believe that a true friend is someone who I can be myself around. Someone that I know loves me for who I am and will not judge or criticize me. Personally, it is hard for me to open to people and truly be myself, but around my sister I can let go and not worry. My sister accepts me for who I am.

My sister fits all these means of defining a good friend, and I try to be the same for her. Another important quality of a good friend is that the friendship is returned. Both people have to put effort into a good friendship. My sister and I work hard to stay in touch and keep up with each others lives even though we are far away and at very different stages of life. Without someone like my sister in my life I would have felt very alone and lost at times. We all need someone at some point and I know my sister is there for me. I look forward to when we are older and I know that we always will be good friends.