The Power of a Smile

Courtney - Marietta, Georgia

We hear so many different stories from television and newspapers about things going on in our world. Most of these stories incite anger or fear and, overall, do nothing profitable for the person reading about the chaos. But once in a while the news reporters throw in a story that warms the heart and makes us want to be a person. Little do most people realize that the smallest thing can change a person’s whole day. It may not get reported in a newspaper or even make a good conversational story, but the fact is that it warms the heart and can make life a little better. I believe in the power of a smile.

High school has many ways of making a person feel like a worm, from the cliques that (you’re not a part of) for no reason to the teachers who give you way too much homework and, ultimately, a lot of black circles under your eyes. High school, in so many ways, was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life, because I got through it…alive.

I was walking down the hallway on a typical afternoon on my way to my locker and having one of those days that we all have once in a while. I was plodding despairingly to my locker worried about my grades, my friends and my overall social life, which plague the lives of so many teens. My school was not a small school. I graduated with about 500 students in my class, so getting around in the hallways was not always easy to do and this day was especially difficult, and I was in no mood for it either. Fuming, I finally made it to my locker, exchanges books, closed my locker and turned to leave. When I turned around, I saw this girl, whom I had known briefly, but didn’t even remember her name. But she looked at me and smiled at me so big as she walked into the library. It was like a giant emotional hug. I was feeling like no one cared and that is exactly what I needed.

My story is by no means significant to the course of the world, but it meant a lot to me and taught me a valuable lesson about the power of simple kindness, like smiling at a stranger. A smile may say many things, but it basically comes down to appreciating the life of your fellow man. They are in the same world as you and they all put their pants on one leg at a time. There are so many people who have much worse problems than issues with teachers and friends. If the entire world randomly smiled at ten people a day, imagine what a happier place it would be! With an average of ten people randomly smiling at you per day, wouldn’t you feel like a pretty appreciated person? And to anyone who does smile at random people, thank you for sharing your love. To those who do not: why not start today?