We Can Make a Difference

Grace - Lake Oswego, Oregon

There must be some reason as to why we were put on earth or we would not be here. We have been given this place to live on and thrive. We have taken this planet and turned it into a place of life. Look not in the past or the present, but the future. Do you see us thriving still? Our waste has been thrown into the lakes and our garbage onto what was once a place of glory and beauty and turned it into a pile of rotting, decomposing mush that gives off the smell of skunk. Our aftermath litters the streets leaving a trail of garbage.

I believe that we can all make a difference in the world. Even if that difference is picking up one piece of litter, or if it is a much larger deed such as, adopting a child or saving a life. We all live on this earth and should be thankful for being alive. For many years there has always been a threat to us all. More powerful and unimaginable that shadows over us, and with that shadow comes questions that we cannot answer. Global warming is evident in many ways. It will kill us all in time. Think of all the effects it has had on the earth; the icecaps melting, animals dying, the climate getting warmer. It’s hard to ignore and yet most of the population has shown little or no awareness of how serious this problem has grown to be. Now I know I am not a scientist but I do know that we have gotten ourselves into a huge heap of trouble.

Littering is a serious crime. It may not be as serious as murder but it is still deadly in its own way. As a result of our waste and garbage we are polluting our lakes, rivers, and oceans, causing animals everywhere to die. Whether this is from the fish getting caught in used soda cans, or sharks eating old tiers and garbage bags. All of these crimes contribute to global warming. I remember one sunny morning I was strolling down the path that led to my school. I heard a rustle, and looked to my left. I saw this old man stop and pick up an empty soda can. He put it in his jacket pocket and went on his way. This made me stop and think that if an old man can pick up garbage, why can’t the rest of the world? This question led to my strong belief, that we can all make a difference here on earth.

Throughout my life I have seen garbage everywhere; on the streets, on the beach, in the woods, and in the lakes. It really sickens me to see people so uncaring. I know that we are not as heartless as it seems but I only hope that someday I will see us, all of us care just a bit more.