Obama’s Inauguration

Sierra - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

OBAMA’S

INAGURATION

January 20, 2009

I, as a United Stated citizen believe fully in the values of putting forward our best efforts of understanding, cooperation, and faith as we move towards a new America. Change is difficult. Needless to say, we could not do it alone. This is why we must work together to create a more perfect union—a united planet. In the words of Obama, “Know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.”

We are now thrusting the weight of our corrupted society onto a single human being’s shoulders with the hopes he will turn it all around for us. It would be great to believe Obama was as much a magician as a politician. But we must be careful so as not to build up our expectations too high or we will cast a shadow so great it can never be filled.

We as a nation must put forth our best effort into creating and reforming our government, the building blocks for our modern society. Having high hopes is not a bad thing. It is making these hopes unrealistic that causes us to dwell on the negative and not see the light of the change we are making.

We look to our president as the leader of our country, and hold him responsible for the actions and consequences of America. But it is never a one-man effort. “We rise and fall as a nation. As one.” Obama empowered the people. “Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.” Obama can help greatly, but it is up to us, the citizens of America to bring forth change.

Obama brings us hope for renewal—hope for a new nation and a new justice.

We are taught to follow our dreams and goals throughout life. It is setting them too high that sets us up for failure. We must have faith in our government, and our nation as we work together to achieve the great. Forty-three previous presidents have shown us what America is capable of. Our visions of our country are formed from our past, and give us hope for our future. No world power can please everyone with each decision it makes.

We must be understanding of Obama as he tries not to displease his country. A voice that is held in the highest regards of united citizens saying “We are change,” is the same voice that has the power to bring our nation together.

And before you let your dreams be diminished by a single higher power, put the weight on yourself. Stop and think: If you had only four years with the power of the presidency under your thumb with the whole world watching you, what would you do?

Change is inevitable. Make a change. Move forward. Take responsibility. “We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense…” Obama preaches. It is understanding reality and having cooperation and faith that will get us to where we want to be. There is no doubt we will get our nation back to the way it was—we just have to take our dreams, our hopes, and our future one step at a time.

Believe in the future. Believe in change. Believe in the impossible.