On Which I Build

Evan - 49426, Michigan

I believe there comes a time in one’s life where he must define himself. Not for his peers, but for his own edification. In this he is humbled, because he is not only built himself up, but also realizes his insignificance. The Wild opens up a human being like some would not believe; unlike other petty influences, nature reaches down into the depths of the human soul in such a way we as a people can only begin to comprehend. I believe that the countryside gives glimpses of beauty rarely seen in this life, a magnificence meant for the coming life.

Glorious tranquility was borne to me on that fine day, that day where the Wild dug from me feelings I did not know I had buried. I found myself in The Benjamin Islands, rolling hills of granite, devoid of grass, yet emblazoned with trees lit up brilliantly with life, branches bristling in the soft breeze. Crisp, chill, serene inlets of water framed the horizon, magnifying the majesty of the land. I had never felt so alive.

The leaders of our boats asked us to each gather one rock, be it big or small, elegant or plain, sharp or smooth. It was to add to the monument that was being created, a mere pile of rocks signifying all the trip had meant to us. I believe that rock, that big, awkward chunk of granite, changed my life. It hit like a cannonball, shattering my focus on what I previously believed to be important. My greed for more money, more friends, more everything anyone would want, seemed so silly and trivial. How could any of those compare to the simplistic, unseen beauty of this rock? It was purposeful and composed and solid and unafraid. I felt diminished, unstable, reckless. But with this feeling, came the realization that my life could be like the rock’s: sturdy. Sturdiness from a relationship with one who is above nature, the One who inspired and brought it from nothingness. This is the core on which I build.

I believe that everyone who wishes to soul-search should start with where it began. I believe nature is a painting of what our relationship with Him should look like: a beauteous foundation upon which our lives can gain a certain stability. A stability that creates the greatest of all feelings: one of peace.