Always support our soldiers

Dirk - Hudsonville, Michigan

I found myself watching the news one day about a protest of the wars in Iraq and

Afghanistan. This wasn’t the usual situation you see at the Capital, but it was at a

funeral. These protesters had hateful expressions and scornful glares directed

towards the soldiers and family attending while screaming their tunnel vision

views of the war. The most shocking part of this was that some of those protesters

were the parents of dead soldiers, and soldiers still fighting. The family was trying

to bury their dead child. The family was trying to focus on who he was. The family

was trying to recognize the sacrifices he courageously made for his country. By

being at that funeral, these protesters amplified the already difficult grieving process.

Throughout all this maddening protest, a group of motorcyclists, freedom riders,

came to this funeral. These bikers parked their motorcycles, making a shield between

the protesters and the family, revving their motors to block out the abominable noise

the protesters made, bringing a final peace to the funeral. These motorcyclists showed

an impressive amount of support matching the support the family gave to their child.

I believe in always supporting our soldiers.

This event causes me to ponder: Are these people so cold, so void of emotion

that they cannot feel any empathy? Are they so caught in their cause that they

don’t understand the effects of what they are doing?

Our soldiers are fighting for a cause to protect our freedoms and securities.

These soldiers were not forced into a conflict by a draft; they enlisted. They

choose to fight for this honorable cause. By protesting, these people don’t care

for the sacrifices made and just take them for granted. These people don’t realize

that the soldiers are fighting for them to have the right to be able to protest. Our

soldiers deserve the support from every American.

These people look at the war with a very compact tunnel vision. All they see

is death and destruction. They blame every problem on the war, and only see the

acts of our soldiers as wrong. It was a daily occurrence to hear about car bombs,

kidnappings, and mass murders from these terrorists; but the protesters are not

denouncing the terrorists, instead they say that our soldiers should be punished for a

slightly physical interrogation. They don’t see the order or the stability our soldiers

bring. They don’t see that our soldiers are not there to kill, but to protect.

They don’t see the freedoms and democracy brought to the region. Even though

these protesters are Americans, they only seem to think that Americans can do

wrong in war, and imply that the horrendous acts of our enemies are okay.

I have taken this event of protest at the funeral into my heart. I hope to

never look at these kinds of circumstances with a tunnel vision that blinds people

to reality. I Believe to never take for granted the sacrifices made by service men,

and always give my absolute support.