Beyond Borders

Azmeh - columbia, South Carolina

A common phrase heard today is that the world is a global village. However, first hand experiences have led me to believe that this is not really the case, for which kind of a village would discriminate on the basis of what part of the village you belong to? I believe in a world where we are true global citizens and our nationality is not a barrier thus we are not subjected to judgement based on the color of our passport.

In a way, believing that nationality will not play a part in our lives is like believing in the goodness of teddybears, the happiness brought by sunshine and the joviality of clowns.I want a world where a student from Pakistan can study in the United States without having to worry about the extensive background checks carried out on everyone in her family. I envision a world where a Palestinian girl does not have to wait two years before attending the college of her choice, and a world where a person living in a country for twenty years is not deported because his work visa expired and he was too poor or too illiterate to get his visa extended or get a citizenship.

I would like to live in an era where you can travel anywhere in the world and not get singled out at the airport, be strip searched, go through extra security and have your suitcase rummaged through every time you travel, just because of the color of your passport. A world where when a flight is delayed and all the other passengers are given temporary visas, one family is not left behind in the airport just because their passport is not the right color.

In the modern cultured society, the word prejudice is taboo simply because it is associated with injustices such as slavery of the black people and the holocaust. I hope for a future where anthropologists criticize us for doing the same thing, discriminating people on the basis of their country which may be a bit more sophisticated than discriminating on the basis of your race, but this is the twenty first century we are talking about.

I hope I live to see a world where people realise the injustice that is being carried out through discriminating on the basis of the color of your passport and I hope that during my lifetime people will try and change this way of life and truly make the world a global village which will unite us all.