Politically Correct

Jessie - 33705, Florida

Character is all the features that make a person unique. All the traits that set us apart from one another. There are many aspects of character. Some we get from our genes, like our appearance and intelligence. Others we learn in everyday life, like how to resolve an argument or what to do when faced with a problem. To me the most important part of character is moral and ethical strength. That means standing up for what you think is right, even if you’re standing alone. It’s the power to say what you believe even if it’s not the most popular opinion.

When I was little, my friends and I were very politically correct. We would scorn people for playing with Barbies and wearing pink. It’s not that we thought that pink was such a horrible color, or that Barbie was the worst doll ever invented. Its just that we were frightened of going against the group. We were scared that if we told our personal opinion we would be treated as outcasts and made fun of by our friends. No one wanted that to happen. So we hid our opinions about things and put on poker faces. It was the easiest way to go.

When I got a little older, I started expressing myself more. I would talk with friends about politics and religion, but I still held the fear that I would be ridiculed for my beliefs. If my friends had a different opinion than I did, I would just agree with them and move on. I would do anything to fit in. But soon I realized that you don’t have to hide your opinions so that people will like you. If they are friends worth having, they’ll accept you as you are.

All throughout history people have been risking their lives for their beliefs, fighting and protesting till they got what they deserved. They had character and stood for their rights. I think that character is important because without it our whole world wouldn’t be the same. African Americans would still be enslaved and women would still be treated like property. If we didn’t have the character to speak up and fight for our freedom, we would still be a part of Great Britain.

What it comes down to is that we should want to do the right thing because it feels good to do it. It doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that. If you do the right thing, you will have a happier life. You don’t have to go through life pretending you’re someone else. You don’t have to change your thoughts because you want to fit in with people. Just be yourself and soon you’ll be surrounded by people who like you just as you are. This I believe.