I believe friendship is the ultimate prerequisite for happiness

Elena - Columbia, South Carolina

I believe friendship is the ultimate prerequisite for happiness. I believe that having someone to share my success and my failure with and having someone to consider me as his/her support in life is what makes me look forward to tomorrow. This makes me feel proud of myself for being reliable to someone and at the same time it makes me feel more responsible as well. There are many ways to define your personal beliefs. Beliefs could be spiritual, emotional, a consequence of your own background or they might be shaped through new experiences.

There is a saying that you start appreciating what you had after you lose it. For me, this is only partially true. While I have certainly experienced a difficult transition to college life that would have been much harder if it was not for my family and friends. The physical distance only fortifies the relationships when those relationships are honest and strong. I have been very fortunate to have friends on the opposite side of the ocean who, without knowing what I am going through, take the time to listen and support me. This is why friendship is something I hope never to fail believing in. In fact, being lonely in another country has never been something I feared most mainly because I am very sociable and always opened to meeting new people. But as the saying goes, I found out the power of friendship when I changed my environment and reevaluated what I was being separated from. Instead of losing my friendships, I found myself strongly clutching to them and becoming empowered.

My transition has also been eased by the new friendships I have made here. They have also contributed to my happiness in some form or another. Whether it is for advice, help, or just time to hang out, my new friends have always been here for me. But I believe that friendship is not a one-way street. In order to receive, you always have to be a ready to give first. It is a subtle relationship of mutual trust, understanding, and good timing.

Friendship has to be nurtured like a plant in order to grow and become stronger. Now that I have realized its power, I am ready to protect it and give my best in it in order to be a more fulfilled individual.