I am good enough

Cole - Webster City, Iowa

I believe that I am good enough. For most of my life, I’ve wanted to play football after highschool. Now that time has come, and I want it now more than ever. There are many places I could go and play football, but I want more than just playing; I want to win and compete for a championship. With both of these things in mind, I have made it my goal to play football at the University of Southern California.

Since I have made USC my goal, the only thing I’ve heard on the subject is how I’m “not good enough.” I do believe this to an extent. At the time I reached the decision I wasn’t good enough. At the moment, I’m still not good enough. I do believe with the right attitude and work ethic, I can become good enough.

Almost all I’ve done since my final highschool football game has been an effort to improve myself. Since that game I’ve lost almost twenty pounds. This has been done to improve my chances of being good enough. At my current height, I needed to lose weight, and still need to lose about another ten pounds. The reason I need to lose it is because I’m not tall enough or fast enough to play most positions. This leaves one position. With a lot of hard work, I believe I can be good enough to play.

Becoming good enough is not just about losing weight. It’s also about becoming faster and stronger, as well as other things. Losing the weight is just the first step. Being lighter will automatically make me faster. It also gives me more potential to become faster. This is the second step. The third step, getting stronger, is the hardest. But with a good work ethic, I’ve managed. Since that last game, almost twelve weeks ago, I’ve managed to increase at least thirty to forty pounds on all of my upper body lifts, and have increased slightly less on my lower body lifts. Getting better physically is just part of it.

The other part involves getting better mentally. In order to even get to USC, I needed to get even better grades than I already had. Since then, I’ve worked harder in school to better prepare myself. I’ve gotten almost all of my homework done, and finished the semester with an A in all of my classes except one. Trying to become good enough to play football has helped me become a better student. Even if I don’t make it, it will have taught me even more important things.

With all of this is mind, I’ve tried to improve myself in every way possible. I’ve gotten in better shape, gotten stronger, and have done better in school. I’ve done these things to help me achieve a dream because that is all we can do. We can pick something we believe in and do everything possible to achieve it. I believe I’m good enough.