Not So Small

McKenna - Lake Oswego, Oregon
Themes: love

There is one emotion in the world that people will forever search for. They will sacrifice anything to hear those three small words, “I love you.” Although, they are really not at all that small, because they can lift spirits and make someone feel as if they can fly. This one thing that can connect people, inspire them, and bring them together. When you know that someone is there for you to hold on to, you know that anything is possible, and miracles really can happen.

I believe that love is the strongest and most powerful emotion that will stay with someone forever.

I was twelve years old when my grandpa died. One day we watched football, and the next, he’d disappeared. I felt like something went missing, and I still didn’t quite understand that I would never be able to see him again. It felt almost impossible to accept the fact that he wasn’t coming back. I was confused and alone, but not entirely, because I knew that my grandmother felt the same way. I always found myself thinking, “What is it like for her to have someone she has spent over half her life with suddenly taken from her?” She loved him so much, and he loved her so much, and then abruptly, he was gone. Although, I have always known that at the center of her heart, her love for him will always remain. It could never be replaced or disappear; it will always be one of the most important things in her life.

My grandmother has inner strength like no other. She always, no matter how hard it may be, pushes forward as a result of what that loving relationship gave her. I look up to her with so much admiration, for she has been through it all, the happy and the sad. Even though we all miss him, we know that he loved us very much, and he would want us to be the happiest we could be.

Remembrance of love, the love you give and receive will provide anyone the strength to live life to the fullest. Love is the confidence one needs to pursue and fulfill any dream. This is why someone will sacrifice anything to hear those three small words, “I love you.” Although, they are really not at all that small.