Gianatiempo_This I believe

Carolina - South Jordan, Utah

I believe in change. I believe we can all change once we find out that we have the power to control our lives, to decide what we are going to do, when we are going to do it and how we are going to accomplish it. I believe we can change once we actually understand that the only person holding us back is us!

The greatest ability that human beings have is the power to change the way they think. The way we think, is the result of an accumulation of experiences we had through our whole lives. These experiences were the ones that gave us a different view and understanding about life and shaped our personalities.

We can choose to think, act and react either in a positive or negative way. It all depends on us and our abilities to analyze ourselves and our actions and the outcome the choices we make in life. Most of the time, we do not want to believe that each choice we make has a consequence, until we actually learn from making the bad choices the first time. It is then, after experiencing the bad consequences that we agree that we can actually benefit from making better decisions.

As we were born, we were all given an amazing gift. This gift is the ability to choose.

It is sad that most of us live our whole lives thinking that the only options we have are the ones determined by circumstances, luck, or the way the planets are lined up. It is sad that too many people never discover our greatest freedom, which also happens to be our greatest source of strength, the ability to make our own choices.

I did not know this until a few months ago when I started reading this amazing book I bought a year ago, “Life’s greatest lessons.” I actually did not learn about this “ability” until a few days ago. I was sitting in my psychology class, thinking about the many mistakes I have made in life. I was quietly contemplating the wise words that were coming from the professor when it all suddenly came to me at once. After the lecture on “the process of making choices,” I couldn’t stop thinking about my own life and the way I have chosen to live it. I realized that the only one responsible for the mistakes I made was myself and that the only person responsible for the choices I made was no one else but me! After analyzing the thought of my ability to make my own choices and being responsible for their outcome and even more interesting of being able to benefit from them, motivated me to start choosing more wisely.

My conclusion is that we should all start to analyze our lives more deeply and realize that the responsibility of our success lies on us. Also, that we were given the freedom to make our own choices and that it is our job to make good ones and benefit from their outcome. We should never forget that our happiness depends on the choices we make in life.