I Believe in the Influence of Music

Patricia - Seaside, Oregon

I Believe in the INFLUENCE of MUSIC

It doesn’t matter what kind of day you’re having, the type of music you’re listening to will affect your emotions, and how you handle it. I can look back on my life in its various stages and connect it to songs, artist, and genres. From my middle school boy band years, where I lived the shallow existence of boys, popularity, and the quantity of friends I had as opposed to quality. To the entire range of my high school years, starting with my Green Day stage where I wore heavy makeup, and “didn’t care what the world or my parents thought” to my later years of Bob Marley, Queen, The Beatles and where I am now, where I enjoy listening to the soft strumming of Sondre Lerche, the goofiness of The Aquabats, and the spirituality of The Tabernacle Choir.

On days where it seems like nothing, nothing is going my way, and I have no control with anything around me, I know that I can control what music I listen to. And I have my choice to listen to something angry, and loud, to fit my mood and let it boil and simmer or something soft quiet and happy to help cool my mood. There are times when both have their different appealing qualities and I know that the one I choose will influence the rest of my day.

I find that the best kind of music for the soul is the happy kind. I’ve recently been under a lot of stress due to school, home life, and yes even in the relationship section. I play the guitar. Nothing lifts me higher than playing something happy and spiritual on Sam (that’s my guitar’s name). I know that nothing can go wrong while he and I are singing our favorite songs together. I could sit there for hours strumming out chords and singing. Especially when a friend decides to join in. music to me is the Band-Aid of life.